May 20, 2021
Building Fire in Clive Displaces Multiple Businesses and Severely Damages Equipment and Inventory at Clive Community Services
Representatives from the City of Clive and CCS will be available to media at 4:30 PM
At 10:02 AM a building fire was reported in the lower level of 2190 82nd Street in Clive. The Clive Fire Department and multiple neighboring agencies quickly responded. Upon arrival, firefighters found heavy fire in one suite and significant smoke throughout other parts of the two-story structure.
The fire was quickly brought under control and extensive ventilation and investigation work were performed to ensure the fire had not spread to adjoining suites or buildings. There were no injuries.
Preliminary information indicates the fire was started when a building occupant doing maintenance activities created a spark, igniting nearby combustibles.
Multiple businesses rent space in the facility including Clive Community Services (CCS). CCS equipment and inventory were severely damaged by smoke and water. The full extent of the damage is being assessed, but CCS leaders expect their services will be disrupted for multiple weeks and that much of their inventory of clothes, food, and personal items will need to be replaced.
The Des Moines Area Religious Council (DMARC) is stationing its mobile pantry at 2190 82nd Street in Clive to support families that are served by CCS. CCS is a Des Moines Area Religious Council (DMARC) affiliated food pantry.
At this time, CCS leaders are asking for cash donations from those who want to support recovery efforts. Donations can be made at www.clivecommunityservices.com. DMARC will be handling food and other material donations during the recovery process. Visit www.dmarcunited.org for instructions on how to donate material goods.
Representatives from the City of Clive, Clive Fire Department, and Clive Community Services will be available to the media this afternoon at 4:30 at the Clive Fire Department, Station 32 (8505 Harbach Blvd., Clive).